Ahead of the 2021 London mayoral election, Tech London Advocates, techUK, London First, Here East, Plexal, and Centre for London collaborated on a joint manifesto with a series of policy recommendations for the Mayor to support London's tech sector.
London’s tech sector has proved remarkably resilient amidst the coronavirus pandemic and as we start to look ahead to recovery, its success is more important than ever.
This manifesto highlights where there are exciting opportunities fo the Mayor to capitalise on the current standing of UK tech as world leader, as well as address the critical challenges that remain.
- Champion tech companies to drive London’s long-term economic recovery.
- Support technology-led solutions for the future of work and reopening the economy.
- Invest in digital skills – support the public and private sectors to meet new employment needs.
- Showcase the best of London tech by supporting the sector in diversifying across London’s boroughs.
- Engage with investors – work to attract greater inbound investment from a range of global partners.
- Stimulate cross-city collaboration across the UK by working closely with the country’s city mayors.
- Champion a fair and managed immigration system – present London as open and welcoming to international tech talent.
- Introduce a diversity tsar – appoint someone responsible for diversity in tech and business to support the Chief Digital Officer.
- Realise the potential of data for London – unlocking and optimising the value of data for London, ethically and responsibly.
- People, planet and society – outline and prioritise the key challenges facing London.
- Invest in digital infrastructure – remove barriers to 5G rollout and create a Gigabit Connectivity Taskforce.
- Embrace transport innovation by encouraging micro-mobility and mobility platforms.