London’s most pressing priority is to build good quality, affordable homes for Londoners. But the prospect of labour shortages and the potential of new technology means that London’s housing cycle has the need and opportunity to innovate, in order to meet the ambitious housing targets proposed in the draft New London Plan.
This event is now full, you can sign up to the waitlist in case spaces become available and we will send you a confirmation when this happens.
Join us for the launch of our new report, Made for London: housing innovation in the capital, looking at the potential and the need for construction innovation in London.
The report examines which modern construction techniques are being used in London’s housing market – from digitally-designed modular homes to precision manufactured components – the case for their more widespread adoption, and the barriers that are holding the sector back from realising its potential.
Centre for London’s Victoria Pinoncely will present the findings of our research, and a panel of experts will discuss the following questions:
- How can modern construction techniques help to deliver a step change in housing supply in London, and address a growing labour challenge?
- What is the potential impact of off-site, modular construction on the delivery, cost, speed, quality and sustainability of new homes?
- What are the threats and opportunities for the future of modular construction, and its potential to disrupt and allow new entrants to the current model of housebuilding?
- What barriers are holding the sector back?
- What role could central government and the GLA play in supporting housing innovation?
8:30am Coffee / Pastries
9:00 – 10:00am Opening address, presentation, panel discussion, Q&A
10:00 – 10:30am Networking
With featured speakers
Pooja Agrawal, Co-Founder, Public Practice & Senior Project Officer, GLA
Christine Whitehead, Professor of Housing Economics, LSE
Jonathan Emery, Managing Director of Property – Europe, Lendlease
Mark Baigent, Divisional Director, Housing and Regeneration, London Borough of Tower Hamlets
Kyle Buchanan, Director, Archio
This is a public launch event, please feel free to share with your networks.
Light breakfast and a copy of the report will be provided.