Join us for a discussion on effective use of meanwhile in London – how can we unlock the potential of London’s unused spaces?
In many parts of London, using vacant space on a temporary basis is the only way to afford a start-up, community or living space. Yet London is full of unused spaces, small and large, that could be given over to temporary workspaces, gardens, housing or retail – but are not.
What are the barriers to widening participation in meanwhile use beyond the inner city, and how can developers and city planners alike incentivise meanwhile activities that have social value? Can meanwhile uses create lasting value in neighbourhoods, and at the same time move at short notice? Could meanwhile use give London its edge back, or do many types of meanwhile use reflect the commercialisation ‘in-between spaces’?
- Kat Hanna, Associate Director Urban Change, Research & Insight UK, Cushman & Wakefield
- Heather Cheesbrough, Director of Planning and Strategic Transport, London Borough of Croydon
- Eleanor Fawcett, Head of Design, Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation
- Penny Humphrey, Head of Marketing, U+I
- Simon Pitkeathley, Chief Executive, Camden Town Unlimited
- 18:00 Arrival and drinks
- 18:30 Panel discussion and Q&A
- 19:45 – 20:30 Networking and drinks
This event will be an opportunity to preview findings from Centre for London’s research on meanwhile sector in London and discuss its value to the city, and opportunities to scale up the use of vacant space.
This is a public event, open to all. Feel free to share with your networks.