Following the publication of London’s Digital Future and the commitment made by Sadiq Khan to appoint a Chief Digital Officer, this report, produced in conjunction with London First, sets out the main requirements of the role.
Working closely with Bloomberg Associates and in consultation with a range of business and policy leaders, we argue that the role of Chief Digital Officer should be focused on three themes: providing policy advice and digital expertise, championing a digital transformation across London government, and seeking out and sharing best practice.
Key recommendations for the first Chief Digital Officer
Provide policy advice and digital expertise
- Conduct an innovation review to help identify the services and facilities most liable to technological disruption in line with the Government’s Innovation Audit.
Champion digital transformation across London government
- Establish a network of digital leads from London’s key delivery bodies.
- Develop a thorough understanding of London’s current approach by working closely with existing individuals, activities and organisations working on digital transformation in London.
- Focus on benchmarking London’s current performance on the provision of open data and connectivity.
Seek out best practice
- Work collaboratively with boroughs and other global cities to share best practices.